Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Writing Focus, Part II: Getting Motivated

Another aspect of writing that I've been dealing with is actually getting motivated to write in the first place. I've found that one of the hardest (if not THE hardest) thing about writing simply is getting started! It lies in the uncertainty about to start the entire project. It's also known as the phenomenon, "writer's block." Well, fear not; I have found out quite a few things to overcome this situation while doing some self-examination.

First off, it's imperative that you find the right environment. What do I mean by this? It's simple; what I'm referring to is a place or a state of mind that is personally conducive to writing. Whilst some people (such as myself) can write in practically any environment, others find it imperative that they are in some place quiet. Whichever you prefer, just assure that you're in your "zone."

Brainstorming is the next step! Come up with a tree of possible sentence to catch your audience's attention (once again, why you need to be in a place or a state of mind in which you can think clearly). Diagrams and flow charts are great tools for this step!

Lastly, you want to find a way to get involved with your paper. I've found that, the more you immerse yourself in the subject matter, the easier it is to elaborate on it. Once again, I like to place myself in argument-type setting, as though I was trying to place a point across to someone who seems possibly a little less knowledgeable about the subject. The point is to educate, correct?

Motivation is key, even if it is the most difficult thing to conjure up.

1 comment:

  1. You may find some of the resources on the Brainstorming page of the class website helpful with invention techniques. I personally like concept mapping. Also, getting in the habit of writing every day-even when you don't have anything to write about-will help you get better at getting started when you have to write something.

    ReplyDelete